The regular meeting of the School Board of Independent School District No. 544 was held in the Otter Community Room at the Kennedy Secondary School. Chair Melanie Cole called the meeting to order at 7:15 am. The following members were present: Kirby Anderson, Melanie Cole, Missy (Melissa) Hermes, Natalie Knutson, Matthew Lemke, and Stephen Vigesaa. Jeff Drake, Superintendent, Renae Smith, Finance Director, and Elaine Jahnke, HR Director, were also present.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited by all present.
Missy Hermes, clerk, established a quorum.
Matthew Lemke made a motion to approve the agenda as presented. The motion was seconded by Stephen Vigesaa and carried unanimously.
No acknowledgements were presented.
Reports were presented by:
- Mary Matteson – Community Education/Early Childhood Programming
- Kirby Anderson – 544 Education Foundation, Finance, Activities
- Melanie Cole – Spec Ed Coop, Region I
- Missy Hermes – Staff Development, Policy
- Matthew Lemke – LCSC Board, MSHSL
- Stephen Vigesaa – Curriculum Review
- Jeff Drake – Superintendent
General Consent Items
The following consent agenda was presented for approval:
- Minutes from the May 23, 2022 regular School Board meeting
- Bills and Treasurer’s Report - reviewed by Natalie Knutson and Kirby Anderson prior to the start of the School Board meeting:
Trust & Agency
Certified Staff Resignations:
- Kelsey Lage, school counselor @ KSS; effective end of the 2021-22 school year
- Kevin Pearson, elementary teacher @ KSS; effective end of the 2021-22 school year
Certified Staff Hires:
- Hannah Fietek, music teacher (1 FTE) @ Cleveland; effective 8/29/2022
- Kailey Glebe, health teacher-contract increase to 1 FTE @ iQ; effective 8/29/2022
- Christine Salokar, science teacher (1 FTE) @ ALC; effective 8/29/2022
Support Staff Resignation:
- Madison Anderson, special education paraprofessional @ KSS; effective end of 2021-22 school year
Head Coach Contracts:
- Resignation of Lisa Truax, Head Girls’ Softball Coach; effective end of the 2021-22 season
- Hire of Rachel Cox, Head Girls’ Swimming Coach; effective 2022-23 season
- Notice of Desire to Negotiate from the Fergus Falls Para Educators Association.
- 2022-2024 Agreement between School Board #544 and Fergus Falls Food Service Association
Missy Hermes moved to approve the consent agenda. The motion was seconded by Natalie Knutson and carried unanimously.
- Matthew Lemke moved to approve the FY23 Membership with Minnesota Rural Education Association (MREA). The motion was seconded by Kirby Anderson and carried unanimously.
- Matthew Lemke moved to approve the Lease Agreement between Jon Roehl and ISD #544; effective 05/15/2022 - 11/30/2022. The motion was seconded by Kirby Anderson and carried unanimously.
- Melanie Cole offered the resolution and moved for its adoption:
2022-2023 RESOLUTION FOR MEMBERSHIP IN THE MINNESOTA STATE HIGH SCHOOL LEAGUE
RESOLVED, that the Governing Board of School District Number 544, County of Otter Tail, State of Minnesota delegates the control, supervision and regulation of interscholastic athletic and fine arts events (referred to in MN Statutes, Section 128C.01) to the Minnesota State High School League, and so hereby certifies to the State Commissioner of Education as provided for by Minnesota Statutes.
FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Fergus Falls High School is authorized by this, the Governing Board of said school district or school to:
- Renew its membership in the Minnesota State High School League; and,
- Participate in the approved inter-school activities sponsored by said League and its various subdivisions.
FURTHER RESOLVED, that this Governing Board hereby adopts the Constitution, Bylaws, Rules and Regulations of said League and all amendments thereto as the same as are published in the latest edition of the League's Official Handbook, on file at the office of the school district or as appears on the League’s website, as the minimum standards governing participation in said League-sponsored activities, and that the administration and responsibility for determining student eligibility and for the supervision of such activities are assigned to the official representative identified by the Governing Board.
The motion was seconded by Stephen Vigesaa and upon roll call vote being taken, the following voted in favor thereof: Kirby Anderson, Melanie Cole, Missy Hermes, Natalie Knutson, Matthew Lemke, and Stephen Vigesaa;
and the following voted against same:
Whereupon said motion was declared duly passed and the resolution adopted.
- Matthew Lemke moved to approve the FY23 School District’s Membership Agreement with Lakes Country Service Cooperative. The motion was seconded by Natalie Knutson and carried unanimously.
- Stephen Vigesaa moved to award a Base Bid of $1,549,500 to Metropolitan Mechanical Contractors for the Kennedy Secondary School’s Chiller Plant. The motion was seconded by Kirby Anderson. Following discussion, Stephen Vigesaa amended his motion to include utilizing a consultation with RA Morton & Associates Inc. The motion was seconded by Kirby Anderson and carried unanimously.
A short work session was held with Klara Beck and Andrew Bremseth to discuss facilities.
- Matthew Lemke moved to go into closed session at 8:50 am permitted by Minnesota Statute §13D.03 to discuss negotiation strategies related to the District’s negotiations with Individual Contracts. The motion was seconded by Steve Vigesaa and carried unanimously.
- Kirby Anderson moved to re-open the school board meeting at 9:14 am. The motion was seconded by Steve Vigesaa and carried unanimously.
The next regular School Board meeting will be held at 7:15 am Monday, June 27, 2022 in the Otter Community Room at the Kennedy Secondary School.
Stephen Vigesaa made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 9:15 am. The motion was seconded by Missy Hermes and carried unanimously.
Melissa Hermes, Clerk